21 April, 2010

higher education...

Sewing. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy it. I don’t only love to sew, but I love trying to figure out how the logistics of clothing work. If I stitch here will it fit better? What happens if I dye this fabric? I really can’t get enough of the fun!

This is why I am going back to school (eventually) at Emily Griffith Opportunity School for their Professional Sewing/Design program. They offer classes from beginning and serger sewing to alterations and advanced sewing with everything in-between. I am trying to decide which electives to complete; alterations, design sketching, menswear, lingerie and lycra, and patterns will all be a must. It will take at least 18 months to complete and I hope I can survive working at a job not suited for me for another 2 years until I can do something I love. And the fact that my homework will probably involve a sewing machine while I am traveling around… yikes!

I hate school and the thought of me going back hurts my insides. It is the history, science, math and so on that I feel is unnecessary (albeit good knowledge in general) for an art/design student. I suck at those subjects anyhoo. So I am going to a trade school to just get what I want!

I have been planning this for a very long time and I have been telling everyone about it, but my finances keep getting in the way. No, I can’t use financial aid because I have to go to school full-time to receive it and that just isn’t going to happen when I have to work full-time from out of town. Aaaarrrggghhhh! It’s a huge stress for me but I think I have a solution.

Because I don’t have the money to begin classes right now (but hopefully in the fall (fingers crossed)) I have a fall back plan for the time being. There is a little place called a library filled with magical books on any subject possible. So I am using my FREE resources and now have about 20+ books with me about sewing, crafts, lingerie, fabrics, textiles, fashion design, beauty, history and more. I am studying!! I never thought I would see the day that studying could make me so excited. Some of the books are hilariously outdated but others are such wonderful gems to assist in my knowledge.

Along with these books I have decided to obviously practice with anything I can get my hands on. So far I have…
-bleached pants Alexander McQueen style
-made a floor length size 20 skirt into a high waisted skirt in my size
-made 5 skirts with pockets for me, Carly, and my mom
-used Rit dye for the first time
-made cafe style window coverings for the kitchen
-embroidered several birthday gifts for the ladies in my life

and this is all before I actually got the books or schooling! I will add pictures of my craftings later.

I think I have finally found my niche and I am so excited to begin!

busy crafting... try again later.

1 comment:

the binghams. said...

so excited for you!!
i know you'll do great and i'm willing to be a (plus size) model for you anytime. <3