19 January, 2009

book and movie review and HAPPY OBAMA DAY!!!

Well, I think its time for a book and movie review! I haven't done one in a while, and I am sure you have been waiting patiently. Good for you.

I recently read Chocolat by Joann Harris. It is the very same Chocolat as the film starring Johnny Depp and Juliette Binoche. The movie is really good, but the book is even better. It explains more about the relationship of all the townspeople and why Vianne is the way she is.

I am currently in the middle of Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. It is a very well written book about a couple in the 50's living happy-go-lucky lives, but they are just miserable on the inside. It isn't an uplifting book, just to warn you. The movie is out in some theaters now. I borrowed the book from Carly after rave reviews about the book and movie. I have watched lots of specials about the movie and cannot wait to see it. Anything to bring Kate and Leo back together is fine by me!

I have two more books just waiting to be read after R.R. I have been dieing to read the memoirs of Julie Andrews and the book Darkly Dreaming Dexter, which spawned my new favorite show Dexter on Showtime. Apparently I will be reading the Time Travelers Wife after all those. Carly said I should read it and I guess I will take her word for it.


As for movies, I have been watching tons of black and whites, and quite a few with my fav, Katherine Hepburn. The best of the movies recently was by far 12 Angry Men. Its about jurors making their decisions to send a man to the electric chair. It is set in one room for an hour and a half and is fantastic. I have also seen Adam's Rib, Holiday and Stage Door (all with Miss. Hepburn), His Girl Friday, Marnie (ok, not B&W, but very good), and Tropic Thunder. The latter is quite a different type than the rest and was not even worth a second glance. Yes, Robert Downey, Jr. was amazing as a crazy afro-actor, but the rest of the movie was a waste of my time. Back to the B&Ws, they are all highly recommended and very witty.


As for Obama, even if you don't agree with his views and you didn't vote for him I hope you can agree what an amazing step for America this is. I hope you are proud of the giant transformation the nation has gone through in just the last 150 years (if not the last 40 years). I can finally say, truthfully, that I am proud to be an American. GObama!!! And may Bush be Bashed!!!

P.S. Please google lego-bama, its sweet.

No comments: